We won’t get sufficient of those chewy molasses cookies! They’ve crisp edges, fudgy middles, and wealthy, spiced taste from ginger and cinnamon.
As I sat down to put in writing this molasses cookies publish, I watched a few of the first snow of the 12 months drift previous the window. What may very well be extra becoming? These chewy molasses cookies are excellent for chilly, wintry days. They’ve crisp edges, delicate middles, and a wealthy, spiced taste that’ll heat you up immediately. Pair one with a cup of hot chocolate, and you’ve got an unbeatable vacation deal with!
I believe you’re going to like this molasses cookie recipe. It’s fast and straightforward to make (you don’t even have to sit back the dough!), and it yields actually fantastic cookies. After the primary time I made them, I appreciated them a lot that I couldn’t resist nabbing one for breakfast the following morning. Since then, I’ve baked numerous batches of those molasses cookies, and Jack and I nonetheless can’t get sufficient. Baking them has develop into a brand new vacation custom in our home. I hope it’s going to in yours, too!
Molasses Cookie Recipe Components
One thing else I really like about this molasses cookie recipe? It’s completely vegan! It comes along with these primary components:
- Molasses, in fact! I make these cookies with unsulphured blackstrap molasses, which provides them a wealthy molasses taste and darkish coloration.
- Brown sugar and white sugar – For sweetness. This mix additionally contributes to the cookies’ scrumptious chewy texture.
- Coconut oil – For this recipe, your coconut oil ought to be delicate, however not melted. To attain the correct consistency, I often pop it within the microwave for round 15 seconds earlier than I begin to bake. The precise timing is dependent upon its preliminary texture, which varies primarily based on the temperature of the kitchen. Room temperature butter will work right here too.
- All-purpose flour – For essentially the most exact measurement, use the spoon-and-level method.
- Baking soda – It reacts with the molasses and brown sugar to assist the cookies rise.
- Heat spices – You possibly can’t make good chewy molasses cookies with out spices! I exploit the identical ones that I do in my vegan gingerbread: ginger, cinnamon, and cardamom.
- Vanilla – It deepens the nice and cozy, spiced taste of those molasses cookies.
- High-quality sea salt – To make all of the flavors pop!
- And pure cane sugar – For rolling! It creates a candy, crispy crust across the cookies’ chewy middles.
Discover the entire recipe with measurements under.
Find out how to Make Molasses Cookies
This molasses cookie recipe is tremendous straightforward to make! Right here’s the way it goes:
First, make the dough. Cream the coconut oil and sugars within the bowl of a stand mixer till mild and fluffy. Add the molasses and vanilla, and blend once more to mix. Then, whisk collectively the dry components in a medium bowl. Regularly add them to the bowl of the stand mixer, mixing after every addition. Lastly, combine in 1 tablespoon water to moisten the dough.
Subsequent, form the cookies. Use a 2-inch cookie scoop to portion the dough, and roll every scoop right into a ball. Roll the balls in a small bowl of cane sugar. Once they’re evenly coated, place them on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
Earlier than you bake, gently press down on the balls to flatten them barely.
Then, bake! Switch the cookies to a 350° oven and bake for 10 minutes, till the cookies have unfold barely and cracks kind on their surfaces. Permit them to chill for 10 minutes on the baking sheet earlier than transferring them to a wire rack to chill fully. Take pleasure in!
Chewy Molasses Cookies Suggestions
- Use pure cane sugar for rolling. I like to make use of common granulated sugar in these cookies, however I exploit pure cane sugar on the skin. It has a barely coarser texture, which creates a scrumptious crispy crust across the cookies’ edges.
- Bake one sheet at a time. These molasses cookies unfold out as they bake, so relying on the scale of your baking sheet, you could have to bake them in two batches. Although working in batches takes longer than placing all of the cookies within the oven directly, the additional time is price it. As a result of temperatures differ all through an oven, the cookies will bake most evenly in the event that they’re all on the identical oven rack. You don’t need cookies on a decrease rack to burn earlier than ones above them are cooked via!
- Depart them on the baking sheet for 10 minutes after they arrive out of the oven. It’ll be tempting to achieve for these chewy molasses cookies as quickly as they end baking, however when you can, maintain off for a minimum of 10 minutes. Straight out of the oven, the cookies are puffy and delicate. As they cool, they crisp up across the edges and develop into chewy and fudgy within the center. After 10 minutes, go forward and pattern one (or extra), and switch the remainder to a wire rack to chill fully.
Extra Favourite Cookie Recipes
Should you love these molasses cookies, attempt one in all these yummy cookie recipes subsequent:
Searching for much more vacation cookie recipes? Excellent news! This vacation season solely, we’re giving freely a FREE cookie book if you are going to buy one of our cookbooks by December 24. Discover the main points here!
Chewy Molasses Cookies
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook dinner Time: 10 minutes
We like to make these chewy molasses cookies for the vacations! They’ve crisp edges, delicate middles, and a wealthy, spiced taste from ginger, cinnamon, and cardamom.
- ½ cup delicate (not melted) coconut oil or room temperature butter
- ⅓ cup packed brown sugar
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- ⅓ cup unsulphured blackstrap molasses
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon floor ginger
- ½ teaspoon cardamom
- ½ teaspoon positive sea salt
- 1 tablespoon water
- ⅓ cup cane sugar, for rolling
Preheat the oven to 350°F and line a big baking sheet with parchment paper.
Within the bowl of a stand mixer, or utilizing an electrical mixer, cream the coconut oil, brown sugar, and granulated sugar. Add the molasses and vanilla and blend once more.
In a medium bowl, mix the flour, cinnamon, baking soda, ginger, cardamom, and salt. Regularly add the dry components to the moist components, mixing after every addition. Combine within the 1 tablespoon water.
Use a 2-inch cookie scoop to scoop the dough and use your palms to roll it into balls. Roll within the sugar, press down barely, and bake for 10 minutes. Take away and let cool on the baking sheet for 10 minutes earlier than transferring to a wire rack to chill fully.