This simple carrot salad recipe comes together in just 15 minutes! Tossed in a lightly sweet, cumin-spiced dressing, it’s bright, aromatic, and refreshing.
This carrot salad recipe is one of my new favorites. I love it because it’s so simple (really, you can make it in 15 minutes or less), so vibrant, and so delicious. Crisp carrot matchsticks mingle with nutty pistachios, fresh cilantro, and mint. Medjool dates add sweetness, and a cumin-spiced dressing ties it all together.
This carrot salad recipe would be a stunning side dish for a special occasion brunch or dinner, and it packs up nicely for lunch or a picnic too. Most often, though, I eat it at the counter, scooping forkful after forkful straight from the bowl. It’s light, bright, aromatic, and refreshing. You all know I’m obsessed with veggies, but even I can’t believe that a simple carrot salad can taste this good.
Carrot Salad Recipe Ingredients
You only need 10 ingredients to make this carrot salad recipe:
- Carrots, of course! Use the best ones you can find. Bonus points if they’re multicolored!
- Medjool dates – I love their sweet flavor with the aromatic dressing and earthy carrots.
- Pistachios – For crunch! I recommend toasting them to bring out their nutty flavor. Add them to a small dry skillet over low heat and cook, stirring occasionally, until they’re fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Fresh cilantro and mint – If you make this salad ahead of time, wait to add the herbs until the last minute. That way, they’ll stay nice and fresh, and they won’t wilt before you eat.
- The dressing – This easy homemade vinaigrette comes together in no time! Just whisk together olive oil, lemon juice, tahini, honey, garlic, cumin, and salt in a small bowl, and season to taste.
Find the complete recipe with measurements below.
Traditional French and American carrot salad recipes call for shredded carrots, but I like to julienne mine instead. Julienned carrots have a crisper, more delicate texture than grated ones, which makes this salad fun to eat. They also look gorgeous here.
I recommend julienning carrots in one of two ways: with a julienne peeler or with a knife. I have step-by-step instructions in this post. Whatever you do, don’t use a bag of pre-cut carrots from the store. This salad shines when you make it with really sweet, crunchy carrots. Bagged ones just won’t be as good.
Carrot Salad Serving Suggestions
This carrot salad recipe is incredibly versatile, so it’s a great one to have in your back pocket. As-written, it’s a stellar side dish for a dinner or brunch. For dinner, pair it with brothy white beans, veggie burgers or black bean burgers, crispy falafel, or a protein of your choice. If you’re serving it for brunch, try pairing it with any of these savory recipes:
More Favorite Salad Recipes
If you love this carrot salad, try one of these fresh salad recipes next:
This carrot salad recipe is so simple and delicious! Serve it as a side dish for dinner or brunch, or make it in advance and pack it for lunch. It will keep in the fridge for up to 3 days.
- 1 pound carrots, julienned
- 3 Medjool dates, pitted and diced
- ¼ cup chopped pistachios
- ⅓ cup finely chopped cilantro
- ¼ cup mint leaves, optional
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon tahini
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 small garlic clove, grated
- ¼ teaspoon cumin
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
Place the julienned carrots in a large bowl and sprinkle the dates on top.
Make the dressing: In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, lemon juice, tahini, honey, garlic, cumin, and salt.
Drizzle the dressing over the carrots and toss to coat. Sprinkle on the pistachios and cilantro and toss again. Sprinkle the mint leaves and serve.