In Liguria, they name it farinata, in Provence, they name it socca. In each instances, it’s a Mediterranean pancake made with garbanzo flour, so it’s not simply luscious, it’s gluten-free. This recipe spices up the essential chickpea farinata by including zucchini. Crispy crusted with a young inside, it’s nice by itself or with the crimson onion jam linked to this recipe within the ingredient listing following.
Chickpea Zucchini Farinata with Cabernet-Pink Onion Jam
- 1 1/2 cups chickpea flour
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 4 tbsp olive oil, plus 1 extra for coating the skillet
- 1 medium zucchini
- sea salt and freshly floor pepper, to style
- Cabernet-Red Onion Jam
- Pour chickpea flour right into a medium bowl. Slowly pour in water, stirring continuously till combination types a thick batter. Stir within the 4 tablespoons of olive oil. Cowl and refrigerate for at the very least 1 hour and so long as in a single day. Batter needs to be creamy and golden, with texture and coloration like tahini.
- An hour earlier than baking the farinata, shred the zucchini (hand grate or use a meals processor), place in a colander or sieve and sprinkle with just a little salt, to assist drain the zucchini of extra water.
- Place an oven rack within the uppermost place and set oven to broil.
- Calmly oil an 8 or 9 inch skillet.
- Wrap shredded zucchini in a towel or paper towel and squeeze. Blot dry. Stir into chickpea batter.
- Pour into skillet, spreading with a spatula so the combination is even. Give it a garnish of sea salt and contemporary floor pepper.
- Broil farinata for 8 to 10 minutes, or till pancake is golden and is beginning to agency up.
- Cut back oven temperature to 450°F and transfer farinata to center oven rack. Proceed baking for an additional 18 to twenty minutes, till pancake is ready.
- Take away from oven and let cool barely earlier than slicing into wedges. Serve with the cabernet-red onion jam.
Ellen Kanner is the Huffington Post’s Meatless Monday blogger, the syndicated columnist The Edgy Veggie, and contributor to publications together with Culinate, Bon Appetit, and Each Day With Rachael Ray as effectively as her own blog.
This submit was initially revealed on 30 August 2011.