This straightforward dish of black beans served over rice has come to be generally known as a regional customary in Florida because of the popularization of black beans by the Cuban-American neighborhood. After you have your cooked beans available, this recipe requires a minimal of effort. Images by Evan Atlas.
Cuban-Impressed Black Beans and Rice
- 1 massive onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium inexperienced or crimson bell pepper, finely diced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3–4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 1/2–4 cups cooked black beans (from about 1 2/3 cups uncooked), or 2 (15–16 oz) cans, drained and rinsed
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- salt and freshly floor black pepper
- a couple of grains of cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup water or cooking liquid from beans
- sizzling cooked brown rice
- 1 small onion, finely chopped, for non-obligatory garnish
- Warmth 1 1/2 tablespoons of the oil in a big skillet. Add the onion and sauté till they over medium-low warmth till it’s translucent. Add the bell pepper and garlic and proceed to sauté till the onion is golden.
- Add the beans, vinegar, and seasonings (be beneficiant with the black pepper) together with the water or cooking liquid. Simmer over very low warmth, lined, for 10 minutes.
- With the again of a picket spoon or a mashing implement, mash about 1/2 cup of the beans within the skillet, or sufficient to thicken the bottom. Be sure there’s sufficient liquid to maintain the whole lot good and moist however not soupy. Simmer for five minutes longer.
- Serve the black beans over or facet by facet with a mattress of cooked rice, topping every serving with a sprinkling of the chopped uncooked onion, if desired.
Variation: Different non-obligatory garnishes for this dish can embody cilantro, thinly sliced radishes, and/or lime wedges.
Vitamin data (with 1/2 cup cooked rice)
Per serving: Energy: 322; Complete Fats: 6g; Protein: 12g; Carbs: 56g; Sodium: 3 mg
This submit was initially printed on 30 July 2012.