This spectacular, dome-shaped “Gooda Cheez” recipe makes a vegan cheese with a creamy texture paying homage to Gouda. Slice it into wedges for a tasty snack or appetizer. Recipe contributed by Jo Stepaniak, reprinted from The Ultimate Uncheese Cookbook.*
Gooda Cheez (Vegan Gouda Cheese)
Makes 1 (3-cup) dome
- 1 3/4 cups water
- 1/2 cup carrots, chopped
- 5 tbsp agar flakes, or 1 1/2 tbsp agar powder
- 1/2 cup uncooked cashews, chopped
- 1/4 cup dietary yeast flakes
- 3 tbsp sesame tahini
- 3 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp dry mustard
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp floor cumin
- Frivolously oil a 3-cup bowl or mildew with a rounded backside and put aside. Mix the water and carrots in a saucepan and produce to a boil over medium-high warmth. Lower the warmth to medium-low, cowl, and cook dinner till very tender, 10 to fifteen minutes. Take away the lid and stir within the agar flakes. Improve the warmth to medium-high and produce to a boil. Lower the warmth to medium-low and simmer, stirring typically, till the agar is dissolved, 8 to 12 minutes longer.
- Switch to a blender and add the remaining substances. Course of a number of minutes till utterly clean, stopping to scrape down the edges of the blender jar as crucial.
- Pour into the ready container and clean the highest. Cool uncovered within the fridge. When utterly cool, cowl and refrigerate for 8 to 12 hours. To serve, prove of the mildew and slice into wedges. Retailer leftovers lined in fridge. Will maintain for five to 7 days.
*This put up incorporates affiliate hyperlinks. If the product is bought by linking via this evaluation, VegKitchen receives a modest fee, which helps keep our website and helps it to proceed rising!
This put up was initially revealed on 14 September 2011.