This recipe updates the Italian traditional, sausage and peppers, with vegan sausage. It makes a hearty one-dish meal served with pasta, grains, or polenta. Proven above, it’s paired with farro. Delicate, pale-green Italian frying peppers which might be sometimes accessible in supermarkets and produce markets make this extra genuine, however utilizing frequent bell peppers works simply as properly.
Italian-Fashion Vegan Sausage and Peppers
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 bundle Tofurky or Discipline Roast vegan sausage, any selection, reduce into 1/2-inch slices
- 1 giant onion, quartered and thinly sliced
- 2–3 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 giant Italian frying peppers, seeded and reduce into strips (or substitute 3 giant pink, inexperienced, or yellow bell peppers, or a mix)
- 1/4 cup dry white wine, non-compulsory
- 1 (28 oz) can crushed or pureed tomatoes
- 1 tsp dried oregano (or recent oregano to style)
- 1 tsp dried basil (or recent basil to style)
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- dried sizzling pink pepper flakes, to style
- salt and freshly floor pepper, to style
- sizzling cooked pasta, grains, or polenta, non-compulsory
- Warmth simply sufficient of the oil to flippantly coat the underside of a giant skillet, reserving the remainder. Add the sausage and prepare dinner over medium-high warmth, stirring steadily till all sides are golden brown. Take away from the skillet and put aside.
- Warmth the remaining oil in the identical pan. Add the onion and sauté over medium-low warmth till translucent. Add the garlic and peppers and sauté till all are gentle and golden.
- Stir within the non-compulsory wine, pureed tomatoes, and seasonings. Convey to a simmer, then cowl and prepare dinner over low warmth for 10 minutes.
- Stir the reserved vegan sausage into the combination. Season with salt and pepper. Serve without delay, spooning among the sausage and peppers combination over particular person servings of pasta, grains, or polenta, or by itself should you want.
Images: Evan Atlas
Listed below are extra:
This put up was initially revealed on 30 September 2012.