Made with toasted hazelnuts, pink onions, and apples, this simple kohlrabi slaw is crisp and refreshing. It is a gentle, pretty aspect dish for any autumn meal.
In case you nonetheless have area for yet one more dish in your Thanksgiving menu, make this kohlrabi slaw recipe! It’s crisp and refreshing – the right technique to stability out indulgent vacation fare like stuffing and mashed potatoes. Plus, it requires simply 10 substances, and it comes collectively in proper round quarter-hour. You possibly can chop the veggies, whisk up the dressing, and have it on the desk within the time it takes to heat your dinner rolls or sweet potato casserole within the oven!
The recipe comes my good friend Andrea‘s new e-book Local Dirt: Seasonal Recipes for Eating Close to Home. In 2018, Andrea challenged herself to eat solely meals grown inside a 200-mile radius of her farm for one month. Native Dust commemorates her expertise. It’s chock-full of tales, recipes, and ideas for consuming domestically, or, in Andrea’s phrases, “discovering and celebrating what we have now.” What could possibly be extra within the Thanksgiving spirit? The e-book isn’t vegetarian, nevertheless it nonetheless contains a variety of attractive veggie choices. I can’t wait to attempt the Chilled Beet & Yogurt Soup, Fennel & Hazelnut Gratin, and basic Apple Pie subsequent!
Kohlrabi Slaw Recipe Elements
In case you’re pondering, “What the heck is kohlrabi?”, I hear you. I first realized what it was years in the past, when it appeared in my CSA field. Like cabbage and broccoli, it’s a member of the brassica household. It has a mustardy, peppery style and crisp texture just like a turnip. It’s tremendous versatile – you possibly can roast it and sauté it – however I prefer it finest uncooked. This slaw reveals off its crunchy, juicy texture completely. I believe you’re going to like it!
When you get your palms on some kohlrabi (you solely want 1!), collect these easy substances to make the slaw:
- An apple – Search for a range that’s crisp and candy. I used a Gala apple, and it was scrumptious, however a Honeycrisp or Pink Girl apple would work effectively too.
- Crimson onion – It provides a gentle chew to the salad.
- Apple cider vinegar and mustard – They make the dressing good and tangy.
- Honey – It balances the assertive mustard and vinegar.
- Additional-virgin olive oil – Andrea really requires hazelnut oil, however I swapped in olive oil as a result of it’s what I hold available. Use what you’ve gotten or what’s native to you!
- Hazelnuts – They add further crunch and wealthy, nutty taste.
- And parsley – It provides the kohlrabi salad a stunning recent end.
Discover the whole recipe with measurements under.
If you’re able to prepare dinner, clip off the kohlrabi leaves, peel the bulb, and slice it into skinny planks. Then, slice the planks into matchsticks. Whilst you’re at it, thinly slice the onion, and chop the apple into matchsticks too.
Whisk the oil, vinegar, mustard, and honey collectively on the backside of a giant bowl. Add the remaining substances, and toss to coat. Season to style with salt and pepper, garnish the salad with parsley, and serve!
Kohlrabi Slaw Variations
For each recipe within the e-book, Andrea provides options to “Localize It,” or use completely different substances that you just might need available. Listed below are her concepts for this kohlrabi salad:
- Change the fruit. Strive utilizing a ripe pear as an alternative of an apple. Heads up: you would possibly wish to store upfront. Pears are sometimes bought underripe and want just a few days to melt on the counter.
- Strive one other nut. No hazelnuts? No drawback. Use walnuts, pecans, or almonds as an alternative.
- Use a distinct veggie. Andrea recommends utilizing thinly sliced broccoli stems as an alternative of kohlrabi. How inventive is that?!
- Add some cheese. This suggestion really comes from me. I believe some shaved pecorino or Parmesan could be implausible on this salad! The salty taste would distinction properly with the candy apples.
Andrea writes that “Cooking and consuming ought to be enjoyable,” and I fully agree. I hope you get pleasure from experimenting with these variations. Let me know which of them you attempt!
Kohlrabi Salad Serving Recommendations
As a result of it’s so easy, this kohlrabi slaw is a good recipe to have in your again pocket within the fall. Whip it up anytime you want a fast aspect dish to spherical out an autumn dinner. It might pair properly with Stuffed Acorn Squash, Creamy Mushroom Polenta, Pumpkin or Butternut Squash Soup, or any of those pasta recipes:
And as I discussed above, this kohlrabi salad would even be an exquisite addition to a Thanksgiving dinner! Serve it with basic aspect dishes like green bean casserole, mashed sweet potatoes, gravy, and cranberry sauce. For extra Thanksgiving concepts, take a look at this post, and don’t overlook the pumpkin pie for dessert!
Extra Favourite Fall Salads
In case you love this kohlrabi slaw, take a look at Local Dirt! Within the meantime, attempt certainly one of these fall salad recipes subsequent:
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil or hazelnut oil
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1 teaspoon complete grain mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon effective sea salt
- 1 massive apple, cored and reduce into matchsticks
- 1 medium kohlrabi, peeled and reduce into matchsticks
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced pink onion
- 1/4 cup toasted chopped hazelnuts
- 1/4 cup finely chopped parsley, extra for garnish
- Freshly floor black pepper
Within the backside of a giant bowl, whisk collectively the oil, vinegar, honey, mustard, and salt.
Add the apple, kohlrabi, onion, hazelnuts, and parsley, and toss to coat.
Season to style with salt and pepper, garnish with extra parsley, and serve.