We love making this orecchiette pasta on chilly winter nights! Broccoli rabe, caramelized onions, and sun-dried tomatoes fill it with daring taste.
The primary time I made this orecchiette pasta recipe, I meant to eat a bowl of it for lunch. I did find yourself consuming it for lunch that day, however a bowl by no means entered the image. As an alternative, I stood on the range, consuming forkful after forkful of orecchiette straight from the skillet!
The recipe is my plant-based riff on a traditional Italian pasta dish – orecchiette with sausage and broccoli rabe. I like broccoli rabe, particularly within the wintertime. It’s vibrant and nourishing, and it has a definite bitter and peppery taste. I typically serve it as a aspect dish, however I needed to discover a technique to function it in a bigger recipe for the weblog.
Enter: this orecchiette pasta! In it, the bitter broccoli rabe performs off candy caramelized onions and savory sun-dried tomatoes. As I had hoped, the dish is a incredible showcase of my beloved broccoli rabe. Higher but, it’s a scrumptious dinner for a winter weeknight.
Orecchiette Recipe Substances
Able to cook dinner? Right here’s what you’ll want:
- Orecchiette, in fact! I like the best way this tiny ear-shaped pasta cups across the different substances.
- Plant-based Italian sausage – I don’t cooked with plant-based meat substitutes typically, so when I do, I really feel that they contribute one thing important to the ultimate dish. Right here, the sausage provides hearty, meaty texture and wealthy savory taste.
- Broccoli rabe – It provides scrumptious bitter taste and vibrant coloration to this pasta dish.
- Caramelized onions – In case you don’t have already got caramelized onions readily available, making them shall be your first step. The method takes about an hour, however you’ll be able to prep them properly upfront. They preserve within the fridge for as much as every week!
- Solar-dried tomatoes – They amp up the savory taste.
- Garlic – For sharp depth of taste.
- White wine – It provides the pasta complexity and tang.
- Lemon juice and zest – For brightness.
- Pine nuts – For crunch!
Toss all of it with crushed pink pepper flakes, salt, and pepper to make the flavors pop! End the pasta with a bathe of Parmesan cheese, or, should you’re vegan, skip it. This orecchiette pasta is lots flavorful with out it.
Discover the whole recipe with measurements under.
Orecchiette Pasta Serving Recommendations
Due to the sausage and broccoli rabe, this orecchiette is hearty and satisfying. Jack and I typically get pleasure from it as a meal by itself, nevertheless it’s additionally wonderful with a salad on the aspect. For a fast, simple, and scrumptious salad, toss blended greens with lemon vinaigrette, Italian dressing, or Greek salad dressing. The orecchiette would additionally pair properly with these salad recipes:
Extra Favourite Pasta Recipes
In case you love this orecchiette recipe, strive one among these hearty pastas subsequent:
Orecchiette with Broccoli Rabe
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Prepare dinner Time: 20 minutes
- 3 Plant-Based mostly Italian Sausages*
- Additional-virgin olive oil
- 1½ bunches broccoli rabe
- 8 ounces dry orecchiette pasta
- 4 garlic cloves, sliced
- ¼ cup dry white wine
- ⅓ cup grated parmesan cheese**
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice, plus 1 teaspoon zest
- ¼ to ½ teaspoon pink pepper flakes
- Sea salt and freshly floor black pepper
- 2 caramelized onions
- 8 oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
- ⅓ cup pine nuts
Break the sausages into small items. Warmth a cast-iron skillet to medium, brush with ½ teaspoon of olive oil and cook dinner 1 to 2 minutes or till well-browned. Take away and put aside.
Trim ½ inch off the ends of the broccoli rabe. Put together a big pot of salted boiling water. Drop the broccoli rabe into the boiling water and boil for two minutes. Scoop out the broccoli rabe, reserving the boiling water. Drain and place onto a clear kitchen towel. Pat dry and chop into 1-inch items.
Convey the pot of water again to a boil, add extra salt, and cook dinner the pasta based on bundle instructions or till al dente. Reserve ½ cup of the starchy pasta water.
When the pasta has a couple of minute left, warmth 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a big skillet over medium warmth. Add the garlic and broccoli rabe and cook dinner for 30 seconds. Add the wine, cook dinner for 30 seconds, then use a slotted spoon to scoop the pasta instantly from the pasta pot into the skillet.
Add the reserved pasta water, cheese, lemon juice, zest, pink pepper flakes, ½ teaspoon salt, and freshly floor pepper and stir to mix. Stir within the cooked sausage, caramelized onions, sun-dried tomatoes, and high with the pine nuts. Season to style and serve.
**Omit if vegan.