Vegan butternut squash soup, delicious, flavorful, and perfect for fall. It’s super comforting and made in 30 minutes with 10 ingredients.
This vegan butternut squash soup is super cozy and perfect for fall. Creamy, super flavorful, and extremely delicious, it’ll warm you up now that the cold is finally here.
It really is one of the simplest and best butternut squash recipes I’ve ever tried, because it’s nutritious, affordable, and extremely easy to prepare! To make it you only need 10 ingredients and 30 minutes.
How to make vegan butternut squash soup
- Add the oil to a large pot and when it’s hot, add the garlic, onion, and celery, and cook over medium-high heat until soft.
- Incorporate the carrots and the butternut squash and cook over medium-high heat until they begin to soften.
- Add all the remaining ingredients, stir until well combined, bring to a boil, and simmer until the veggies are tender.
- Transfer to a blender and blend until smooth.
- Serve your vegan butternut squash soup immediately.
Vegan butternut squash soup ingredients and tips
- Extra virgin olive oil: I’m Spanish, so I use extra virgin olive oil to cook most of my dishes, including this vegan butternut squash soup. However, any type of oil will work. I always use extra virgin oils when possible because they’re healthier.
- Onion: this butternut squash soup recipe will taste great no matter what type of onions you use.
- Butternut squash: the main ingredient of your butternut squash soup recipe!
- Vegetable stock: vegetable stock is the best choice because it enhances the flavor of this dish. However, using water is okay too. Feel free to use store-bought vegetable stock, but I suggest you make your own version at home, as it is super easy and healthy.
- Salt: I used ionized salt, but any salt will do.
- Ground black pepper: fresh ground black pepper tastes amazing. However, I find the store-bought version to be more convenient and easier to measure with a teaspoon.
- Ground nutmeg.
- Serve your butternut squash soup with dishes like vegan turkey, vegan meatloaf, vegan chicken, vegan steak, or vegan sausage.
How to peel butternut squash
Butternut squash is a hard vegetable, so it can sometimes be a little difficult to peel. However, with some easy steps and good tools, it’ll be very easy!
To peel it, wash the butternut squash with water and cut the ends off. Stand the squash vertically and start peeling it with a sharp knife or a peeler, starting from the top.
If the squash is too hard, poke some holes in it and microwave it for about 3 minutes so it softens a bit.
How to cut butternut squash
To make this butternut squash soup recipe, it is important to cut the butternut squash. After you wash and peel it, cut it half lengthwise, remove the seeds and the pulp, and cut it according to the recipe directions. Remember to use a sharp knife!
Looking for more vegan soup recipes?
Did you make this vegan butternut squash soup?
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 4 cloves of garlic, sliced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 large butternut squash (about 3 pounds or 1,360 g), peeled, seeded, and cubed
- 4 cups vegetable stock (960 ml)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- Add the oil to a large pot and when it’s hot, add the garlic, onion, and celery, and cook over medium-high heat until soft (about 5 minutes), stirring occasionally.
- Incorporate the carrots and butternut squash and cook over medium-high heat until they begin to soften (about 5 to 10 minutes), stirring occasionally.
- Add all the remaining ingredients, stir until well combined, bring to a boil, and simmer until the veggies are tender (about 10 minutes).
- Transfer to a blender and blend until smooth. If you’d like to thin out your soup a bit more, add more vegetable stock and blend again.
- Serve your vegan butternut squash soup immediately with dishes like vegan turkey, vegan meatloaf, vegan chicken, vegan steak, or vegan sausage.
- Keep the leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
- Any type of oil or onions will do.
- Feel free to customize your butternut squash soup recipe with your favorite veggies, spices, or herbs.
- To make this vegan butternut squash soup you can also use water instead of vegetable stock, although vegetable stock is the best choice because it enhances the flavor of this dish.
- Serving Size: 1/6 of the recipe
- Calories: 198
- Sugar: 7.2 g
- Sodium: 864 mg
- Fat: 9.4 g
- Saturated Fat: 1.3 g
- Carbohydrates: 21.3 g
- Fiber: 8.3 g
- Protein: 3 g